Spring 2020 semester:
Spring 2020 meetings are scheduled in 3169 (3th Floor Side Conference room) Beckman Institute, at 1 pm Mondays. Please note we are not meeting every week–check this calendar and/or Slack for scheduled meeting times (Join the Slack at http://21.sci.slack.com).
- Feb 10–First meeting of the semester! 3169 Beckman Institute, 1 pm.
- Feb 14—Inclusive Lab Leaders, Session 1 (for PIs). Registration required. 1005 Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30am.
- Feb 24–Journal Club, Karthik Yarlagadda presenting, Ocobock and Hawley, 2020, Science on top: Effective public engagement or preaching to the choir? 3169 Beckman Institute, 1 pm.
- Mar 6—Inclusive Lab Leaders, Session 2 (for PIs). Registration required. 1005 Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30am.
- March 9–Journal Club, A.J. Christensen presenting, Lewandowsky et al, 2012, Misinformation and its correction: Continued influence and successful disbiasing. 3169 Beckman Institute, 1 pm.
- Apr 6–Journal Club, Sam Dotson presenting, Han, et al, 2018, Communication of scientific uncertainty about a novel pandemic health threat, ambiguity aversion and it’s mechanisms. 1 PM, Via Zoom (link sent out via email and posted in the 21 Sci Facebook page).
- Apr 10—Inclusive Lab Leaders, Session 3 (for PIs). Registration required. 1005 Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30am.
- Apr 24–Spring Workshop, Doing and Communicating Difficult Research. Registration required. Virtual Workshop.
- May 8—Inclusive Lab Leaders, Session 4 (for PIs). Registration required. 1005 Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30am.
Fall 2019 semester:
Fall 2019 meetings are scheduled for 4169 (4th Floor Side Conference room) Beckman Institute at 12 pm Wednesdays. Please not we will not be meeting every week–check this calendar and/or Slack to for scheduled meeting times!
- Sept 13–Inclusive Lab Leader, Session 1: Participating in a productive, inclusive lab (For grad students and postdocs). Registration required. 4269 Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30 am.
- Sept 18–First meeting of the semester! 4169 Beckman Institute, 12 pm.
- Oct 2–Science Communication Certificate orientation, 4169 Beckman Institute, 12 pm.
- Oct 11–Inclusive Lab Leaders, Session 2 (For grads and postdocs). Registration Required. Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30 am.
- Oct 17-18—Transdisciplinary Research on Incivility in STEM contexts workshop. Thursday October 17-Friday October 18th, Beckman Institute. Registration required: register here.
- Oct 30–Spring workshop planning meeting, 4169 Beckman Institute, 12 pm.
- Nov 6–Journal Club presentation by Gaby Ibarra: Scheufele and Krause, 2019, Science audiences, misinformation, and fake news. 4169 Beckman Institute, 12 pm.
- Nov 15—Inclusive Lab Leaders, Session 3 (For grads and postdocs). Registration required. 4269 Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30 am.
- Nov 20–Journal Club presentation by Andrea Kunze: Sinatra et al, 2014, Addressing challenges to public understanding of science: Epistemic cognition, motivated reasoning, and conceptual change. 4169 Beckman Institute 12 pm.
- Dec 4–Spring workshop planning meeting, 4169 Beckman Institute, 12 pm.
- Dec 13—Inclusive Lab Leaders, Session 4 (For grads and postdocs). Registration required. 5602 Beckman Institute, 9:30-11:30 am.
Spring 2019 semester:
Spring 2019 meetings are scheduled in 4369 (4th Floor Side Conference room) Beckman Institute, at 1 pm Mondays. Please not we are moving to once monthly meetings, listed below. Also, make sure you are on our Slack page for up-to-date announcements.
- Jan 28–First meeting of the semester!
- Feb. 8— Inclusive Lab Leaders Session 1: Leading an inclusive, productive lab. 5602 Beckman, 9:30-11:30am. Registration.
- Feb 25–21 Sci Meeting, 4369 Beckman, 1 pm.
- March 15— Inclusive Lab Leaders Session 2: Transforming conflict into collaboration. 1005 Beckman, 9:30-11:30am. Registration.
- Mar 25–21 Sci Meeting, 4369 Beckman, 1 pm.
- Apr 8–Science Communication Certificate Applications due!
- April 12– Inclusive Lab Leaders Session 3: Recognizing and navigating power dynamics in research. 1005 Beckman, 9:30-11:30am. Registration link.
- Apr 29, 21 Sci Meeting, 4369 Beckman 1 pm.
- May 10– Inclusive Lab Leaders Session 4: Creating sustainable systems to support our work. 1005 Beckman, 9:30-11:30am. Registration TBA.
- May 14-15: Amplify the Signal workshop.
Fall 2018 semester:
Meetings in 4269 (4th floor Tower room) Beckman Institute 1 pm Wednesdays (Please make sure you are on our Slack page for up-to-date announcements, as we may not meet every week).
- Nov 8--Skype lecture with Miles O’Brien. ILMS Building Room 136, 9-9:50 am.
- Nov 14—Social Media for Scientists: #Tweetyourscience. 204 Loomis, 1:00-3:300 PM. Please register!
- Nov 28-– Journal Club. Pamela Martin will present Cote and Darlin, 2018. Scientists on Twitter: Preaching to the Choir or Singing from the Rooftops?
Spring 2018 semester:
- Feb 5--Journal Club. Sarah Skinner will present Erd et al, 2017, Analysing researchers’ outreach efforts and the association with publication metrics: A case study of Kudos.
- Mar 12– Journal Club. Kassandria Clark will present Garret and Weeks, 2017, Epistemic belief’s role in promoting misperceptions and conspiracist ideation.
- Apr 9–Journal Club. Lauren Todorov will present Vosoughi et al, 2018, The spread of true and false news online.
- Apr 17-19–Sandra Loh workshop: http://scicommworkshop.beckman.illinois.edu/
- Apr 20–Sandra Loh Lecture, “Towards Better ‘60 Second Science.’” Reception at 11 am, 1005 Beckman, Lecture at 12 pm in the Beckman Auditorium
- Apr 20–21 Sci workshop: Mikhail Lyubsansky, “The Gift of Conflict: Conflict Engagement Inside (and Outside) The Lab.” 1-3 pm in 2269 Beckman (immediately after Loh Lecture).
- Apr 23–Journal Club. Vanessa Rivera Quinones will present Goring et al, 2018, Making Scientific Content Accessible.
Fall 2017 semester:
- Sept 11– First meeting of the semester in 4369 Beckman Institute.
- Sept. 15 – “The Future is for Everyone” by Rose Eveleth, Beckman Auditorium, 3 pm. This talk will explore where science and technology come from, where they have taken us so far, and how to open the door for people who are imagining futures for everybody.
- Sept 25–Certificate in Science Communication Orientation: led by Dr. Michelle Rodrigues (noon in 4369 Beckman).
- Oct 19- 7-9 PM at Blackbird in Urbana (119 W. Main St). Story Collider main event! Get swept up in a hurricane and laugh at some monkey business–join us for five true, deeply personal stories about the human side of science. RSVP (free) here!
- Oct 20– 3-5 PM Beckman Auditorium. “Beyond the Buzz: The Power of Personal Stories About Science.” Public talk by Liz Neeley (3-4) with reception to follow in the Atrium (4-5pm).
- Oct 30-Journal Club, presenter TBD.
- Nov 13-Journal Club, presenter TBD.
Spring 2017 semester:
- Feb. 6 – Journal Club: Katie Lee presents on Eveland and Cooper. 2013. “An integrated model of communication influence on beliefs.”
- Feb 24 – Panel: Does Science Need Intersectionality? Panelists include: Dr. Kelly Cross, Dr. Deanna Hence, Dr. Elisabeth Stone, and Dr. Cari Vanderpool
- March 13 – Journal Club: Dr. Michelle Rodrigues presents on Kahan et al. 2016 “Science curiosity and political information processing.”
- March 27 – Certificate in Science Communication Orientation: led by Jessica Hekman
- April 7 – The 21st Century Scientist Workshop: The Future of Science Communication in a Post-Factual World
- April 10 – Journal Club; details TBD
Spring 2016 semester:
- March 4- Journal club (Summer Sanford)
- March 11- Journal club (Sarah Banducci)
- March 18- Speaker: Jessica Hekman
- April 1- Speaker: Jenny Amos
- April 8- Speaker: Katy Heath
- April 29- Workshop
Fall 2015 semester:
- 10/9: Working on the NASW grant application (Deadline 11/4)
- 10/16: Journal club, led by Sudharsan Dwaraknath
- 10/30: Dan Simons, Professor, Psychology: “So you want to write a general-audience science book…”
- 11/6: Ian Traniello, Stephen Fleming: “Radical outreach: the role of scientists in putting education before incarceration”
- 11/13: Journal club, led by Daniel Urban
- 11/20: M. Alleyne, Research Scientist, Entomology: “Communicating science to policy makers”
- 12/4: Workshop planning meeting
- 21st Century Scientist Workshop, April 17th
- October 20, 2014
Article: Opportunities for impact: Statistical analysis of the National Science Foundation’s broader impacts criterion
Author: Kamenetsky, J.R.
Led by: Dr. Kate Clancy
- September 23, 2014
Article: Narratives of Science Outreach in Elite Contexts of Academic Science
Authors: Johnson, D.R., Ecklund, E.H, and Lincoln, A.E.
The slideshow presentation accompanying the journal club can be viewed here.
Led by: Mary Rogers